Allergies are nothing to sneeze at. Dust, pores, and pollen come in through the nasal passages, irritating you and leaving you sniffling and sore as you gradually forget what it once was like to not be congested. We have all been there. Unfortunately, the conventional choices are either to suffer through the season or medicate with allergy medication that simply knocks you out. I for one don’t want to sleep through spring, so I use these strategies to make the season bearable.
Stay in good health
This may be an obvious point, but the better health you are in at the start of allergy season, generally the better off you will be. Be sure to eat a lot of produce and drink half of your body weight in ounces of water per day. Plus, because your body won’t be in overdrive from reacting to all of your allergy triggers, it will be greater equipped to fight off other illnesses and leave you feeling better overall
The following herbs have wonderful historical results for improving allergy symptoms. Try to find them as ingredients in herbal teas:
- Dong quai (Angelica sinensis) – Used as an antihistamine and anti-inflammatory.
- Eyebright (Euphrasia officinalis) – Reduces congestion and secretions. It is good for itchy eyes, sneezing, and excess mucus.
- Gingko (Gingko biloba) – Contains bioflavonoids and is used as an antioxidant and anti-inflammatory.
- Milk thistle (Silybum marianum) – Helps reduce allergic, inflammatory, and histaminic reactions and supports liver function.
- Red clover (Trifolium pratense) – Helps build the body’s resistance to allergies.
- Stinging nettles (Urtica dioica) – Used as an antihistamine and anti-inflammatory.
- Yarrow (Achillea millefolium) – Reduces congestion and secretions.
If tea isn’t your thing, you can also try to find these herbs in the form of supplements. Be sure you check with your health practitioner to get the best herbal recommendation for you to make sure they won’t interfere with any medications you are currently taking. If in doubt, ask your doctor or pharmacist.
FSA (Fun Sweaty Activities)
Not only will this help you achieve your goal of good health, but several minutes of vigorous activity will open up nasal passages and decongest you.
The concept behind homeopathy is that “like cures like.” So, homeopathic treatment for allergies is for one to take very small amounts of that which they are allergic to. Eventually, the body will create a tolerance. I can individualize homeopathic recommendations to help support your body through allergy season.